Bone Grafting in Hendersonville & Asheville, NC
When teeth are lost, a loss of bone often results because the teeth are no longer there to stimulate the jaw and keep it active. Dental implants are today’s leading tooth replacement treatment, but they do require bone in order to function. Therefore, a dental bone graft procedure with Dr. Glenn J. Shefter and Dr. Greg S. Fertik in Asheville, NC is often the first step to having dental implants placed. A dental bone graft replaces lost jaw bone.
Types of Dental Bone Graft Procedures for Dental Implants
- Autogenous graft: Bone tissue is removed from the chin and placed in the jaw to increase density. Infection rate is very low because the tissue is from the patient’s own body. The following is how an autogenous graft is performed:
1. The working areas are anesthetized.
2. An incision is made in the gums to determine the amount of bone that needs to be extracted.
3. Another incision is made at the donor site, usually near the lower front teeth, along the gum tissue.
4. The required amounts of bone and marrow are extracted and the gum tissue is sutured.
5. The bone and marrow are secured in place with small dental screws.
6. Extra grafting material is sometimes introduced to speed the healing process, and the incision is then sutured.
- Allograft: This type of graft uses bone from a tissue bank and is screened before it is used.
- Xenograft: This bone graft uses bovine material, which is readily available and fully screened. This is also a safe and popular alternative for patients who wish to avoid having surgery to remove donor bone from their chin area.
Before and After Bone Graft Surgery
Most patients will need to take antibiotics before and after surgery. Some soreness is expected but can be alleviated with pain medication. Only soft foods should be consumed until the gums are healed. The jaw is typically ready for dental implants in about six to nine months following the bone graft.
If you have missing teeth and bone loss, you can still get dental implants! Call Dr. Shefter and Dr. Fertik in Asheville, NC today for your friendly, personalized consultation.